Top 5 cheap and easy meals
Posted on October 4, 2016 by YaaSeen Shands ’20.
I get it; you’re tired of the same old food day in and day out right? Being short on time and money are keeping you from making an enjoyable meal right? Not any longer, let’s break the cycle and spice it up a little with these five fast and easy to make meals. These meals are guaranteed to satisfy your hunger and put a smile on your face while costing you next to nothing.
1. Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup. This is one of the most enjoyable and easy to make meals. Start off by adding taking two slices of bread and putting one to two slices of cheese in between them. Next, add butter to your frying pan and let your sandwich cook until the cheese is melted and the bread is slightly crispy. To finish, just heat your tomato soup for about 10 to 15 minutes on the stove top or, pop a bowl in the microwave.
2. Spaghetti with Homemade Marinara. All you have to do is sauté a large can of tomatoes, half an onion (chopped), and a pinch of garlic together for 10 to 20 minutes, adding salt and pepper for more flavor. Pour the sauce over a package of cooked spaghetti or other pasta, and you’re good to go.
3. Bean Burrito. Chop up your vegetables, lettuce, a tomato, a small onion and some cilantro. Then, heat a can of black beans on the stove. Lay each tortilla flat and evenly spread the filling through each tortilla. Personalize it by adding your favorite toppings and wrap the tortilla up and enjoy.
4. BLT. Take your pound of bacon and cook it to your liking. After the bacon is done you can begin putting your sandwich together, adding your bacon along with your tomatoes and lettuce in between your slices of bread.
5. Homemade Mac n’ Cheese. Start off by boiling a 12-ounce box of pasta. In a separate pot, whisk together three cups of milk and three tablespoons of flour, adding about a teaspoon of salt and a bit of sugar and pepper. Stir constantly until just boiling, then lower the heat and continue stirring for a few moments as it thickens. Next, add six ounces of shredded cheese and mix until melted. Then, pour the cheese mixture over the pasta and bake it for 20 to 25 minutes.
It is important to save money and lower the costs of all of your expenses in college so I hope these meal tips help you satisfy your stomach and pockets. All of these meals can be put together and made with ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen somewhere, so, be sure to check your cabinets and refrigerator for them to save even more money.