Some DelVal students are awarded federal Perkins loans as part of their financial aid packages. The Perkins loan has some differences from other educational loans, including a different interest rate, a longer grace period, cancellation privileges for borrowers with full-time employment in certain public service careers, and a separate monthly payment that must be paid to DelVal's Perkins loan servicer, Heartland ECSI ("ECSI").
If you received a Perkins loan, you will receive a letter from the Office of the Bursar after you leave DelVal. You will also receive notifications from ECSI during the 9-month grace period and monthly bills when the grace period ends and your Perkins loan enters repayment. You are responsible for providing current contact information to ECSI and the Office of the Bursar throughout the life of your Perkins loan.
It is important to make timely payments on your Perkins loan when it enters repayment. The status of your Perkins loan will affect your loan balance, eligibility for DelVal transcripts, credit history, and ability to obtain future federal financial aid. If there are other individuals who sort your mail or help you with your student loans, please be sure that they forward all ECSI communiications to you.
REQUIRED PERKINS LOAN EXIT INTERVIEW
Upon graduation or withdrawal from the University, students are required by federal regulations to complete exit counseling in order to understand their responsibilities as a borrower of federal Perkins loan funds. DelVal's Perkins loan exit interview is available online through Heartland ECSI. Until the online exit interview is completed, a Perkins loan exit interview hold is placed on the student's account, which prevents the release of official transcripts and diplomas. Within 2 business days after a student completes the online exit interview, the hold is removed from the student's account.
To complete the online Perkins loan exit interview:
- Go to the ECSI borrower website at https://heartland.ecsi.net/.
- If you previously set up an ECSI profile, click on the Sign In or Register link in the top right corner, sign in, and skip to Step 4.
- If you have not already set up a profile with ECSI:
- Enter your desired user name and password.
- Click on Continue.
- Set up your profile by entering your contact information and selecting security questions and answers.
- Enter your Heartland Key, which is your encrypted account number. The Heartland Key is included on all communications from ECSI and in the letter that the Office of the Bursar sends to each Perkins borrower. If you cannot locate it, please call ECSI customer service at 1.888.549.3274 and ask them to email your Heartland Key.
- Click on Connect to connect your Perkins account to your new profile.
- Sign back in to ECSI with the user name and password that you created.
- Complete the Perkins loan exit interview:
- Select Student Loans & Receivables.
- Click on View Account.
- Go to Documents tab.
- Click on Review & Sign link to begin exit interview.
- Read Exit Interview History screen and click on Pending Exit link.
- It may take 20 to 30 minutes to complete.
- Before you exit the ECSI website, we strongly recommend that you complete the electronic authorization to release information about your Perkins loan account to at least one trusted individual. If issues arise during the repayment of your loan, the individual(s) may assist you in resolving them.
- Go to Contact Info tab.
- Click on 3rd Party Information Release link.
- Enter contact information for individual(s) whom you wish to authorize and select Other as Purpose of Release.
- Select I Hereby Authorize ECSI checkbox and Save form. The information will be uploaded to ECSI within 24 hours.
ADDITIONAL PERKINS LOAN INFORMATION
For ECSI's contact information, review the Perkins Loan Servicer Information document (PDF).
To review the terms and conditions of your Perkins master promissory note, consequences of defaulting on your loan, and eligible circumstances for deferment, forbearance, cancellation , or discharge of your loan, read our Perkins loan rights and responsibilities information sheet (PDF).
For important information on keeping your Perkins loan in good standing during repayment, read our Frequently asked questions about Perkins loan repayment document (PDF).
For details on making payments to ECSI and using the ECSI website, go to the ECSI Student Loan Accounts webpage.
If you still have questions about your Perkins loan, call ECSI at 888.549.3274. You may also contact Bonnie Labowsky at 215.489.4525 or email@example.com.