Undergraduate students have the option of taking Math and English placement tests to bypass the remedial level courses required. For information on placement testing please contact the Office of Student Success. They can be reached at Success@delval.edu.
English Diagnostic Assessment
All incoming students are required to complete the SAT Evidence-Based Reading and Writing.
- Evidence-Based Reading and Writing of 480 or lower are placed in Fundamentals of Writing (EN 0012) 481 or higher are placed in College Writing I (EN 1101)
Exceptions are as follows:
- Students who have received transfer credits in English Composition
- Students who have received a score of 3 or better on the AP English exam
- The SAT and ACT essays are designed to assess the student's preparedness for college-level courses offered by the English department. Based on the results of these exams, the English department will recommend which course is most appropriate for the student. Because the goal of the diagnostic testing process is to maximize the opportunity for success, the student may not register for a course at a level higher than the English Department's recommendation.
Mathematics Diagnostic Assessment
The Mathematics and Physics Department utilizes the SAT-Mathematics section as the primary assessment for determining the best course for an incoming student at the University so that each student’s opportunity for success is maximized. The criteria are as follows:
- Students who score below 500 on the new SAT-Mathematics section will be enrolled in MP 0010, Fundamentals of Algebra.
- Students who score 500 or higher on the new SAT-Mathematics section but less than 640 will be enrolled in MP 1102, College Algebra. Students in this range whose academic programs prefer that they begin with MP 1203, Elementary Functions, or MP 1210, Applied Mathematics, can complete a diagnostic assessment during the Summer Orientation and Academic Registration (SOAR) program to determine appropriate course selection.
- Students who score 640 or higher on the new SAT-Mathematics section may enroll in MP 1204, Calculus I, or a lower-level Mathematics course based upon program requirements.
Some exceptions to these criteria are as follows:
- Students who have received advanced placement (AP) credit for MP 1204 Calculus I
- Students who have received transfer credit for a mathematics course taken at another institution and approved by the Delaware Valley University Mathematics and Physics Department as equivalent to MP 0010, MP 1102, MP 1203, MP 1204, or MP 1210.
ACT Placement Scores
· ACT Score 0-16 = MP-0010 Fundamentals of Algebra
· ACT Score 17-24 = MP-1102 College Algebra
· ACT Score 25+ = MP-1204 Calculus